Re: [Phys-l] "To put it simply, no Darwin, no Hitler, " said the group's late founder, D. James Kennedy.

Yes, Libertarians are probably more consistent in the conventional fashion. But let us look at the science. The evidence is now fairly clear that cooperation is more important in the human psyche than competition. This has been shown by looking at games where cooperation can sometimes yield higher gain. From the evolutionary point of view cooperation is often promoted by the "survival" principle. Indeed the modern view of evolution is quite different from the "primitive" survival of the species by individual competition. Incidentally, some experiments have also clearly shown that individuals are easily tranformed into monsters by puttin them in specific socaial setting.

So whether or not Hitler appealed to Darwin, Lysenko, Einstein, Christ, or any other "authority" is irrelevant to the validity of the ideas that have been promoted by those people. The example that sparked this thread exposed the illogical thinking of some individuals in this regard.

But my comment was quite true. I have not seen any Democratic candidates who have disavowed evolution. At present the Republicans have gotten into bed with the antievolutionists and antiscinetific crowd. So we do have a political split between the proscience and antiscience groups. This is a fairly recent phenomenon. It may actually be part of the natural development of a proevolution social mileau. The percentage of antievolutionists has been decreasing during the last century. So this has now become an issue, while previously the antievolutionists felt secure when they were in the majority. This is precisely what happens when you have a scientific revolution, or any shift in the general paradigm. There is disorder and savage fighting before the new paradigm is established.

We ignore the social aspects of science at our peril. One reason why stem cell research is not controversial in Eastern cultures is apparently because the idea of reincarnation makes the fetus much less important. The teaching of cosmology is impacted by the antievolution, young earth paradigm. QM can be opposed because of the idea of randomness.

The social sciences and the instructors paradigm have a great bearing on teaching. I have observed that there are some very influential mathemeticians who believe that the only way to structure teaching is by using logic to decide what you do. This has resulted in the current poor state of math teaching because they ignore the education and psychology research. What you do to get students to think logically does not flow from presenting ideas in a "to you" logical sequence. Instead teaching is an experimental science. Often things you do to improve teaching actually does the opposite. Even a notable researcher like Priscilla Laws claims that her intuition is often faulty, so she has to rely on experiments rather than logic.

BTW if you look at Adam Smith he did say that the free market does not always result in desirable social goals, so even he was aware that raw competition is not always desirable.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Comments like this serve as an example of why we should stick to physics on this list and leave the political ramblings to the PHYSOC list. Libertarians look to Adam Smith for guidance - but hardly reject the science of Darwin. The only thing I find "curious" is your rush to stereotype.

Bob at PC

It is curious that the same people who reject the scientific ideas about
Darwin will practice social & political "Darwinism" with respect to other
people. Adam Smith is often their guru, and they ignore recent research
that shows that people tend to chose cooperation over competition. It seems
that cooperation is built into us. And of course the Japanese do not reject
Darwin while also having an extremely cooperative view of society.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX