Re: [Phys-l] physics in music

On Mar 15, 2008, at Mar 15:9:01 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I'm a big music fan, and just wanted to share this lyric info with the
group. Anyone know of other science lyrics in popular songs?

In class I mention "Drops of Jupiter" from Train, which has:

"Tell me did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the milky way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated"

where, if they are already in the solar system, then they don't need to make it to the milky way. I also have used from "Don't say goodbye", Paulina Rubio:

"
Even though We'll be apart
We'll see the same stars
Just close your eyes
And I'll be where you are
Don't say goodbye
Cuz if you say that word my heart won't survive

"

I ask my students if they believe the singer was intending that her boyfriend was going to move to somewhere on the same latitude, given that they'd see the same stars.

and there is a song "Want to" by Sugarland, with

"Whole world could change in a minute
Just one kiss could stop it spinning
We could think it through
But I don't want to, if you don't want to
"

which would be an extraordinarily powerful kiss. :)

bb

--
Brian Blais
bblais@bryant.edu