[Phys-l] Heat is a noun

Hi --

In Mar 2008 issue of The Physics Teacher, John Jewett in “Energy and the Confused Student III: Language” writes that

Romer claims that heat should not be used as a noun. While I agree with the spirit of using the word heat correctly, I disagree that heat is not a noun. Heat is indeed a noun, but it is the name of a process, not the name of what is transferred.

Although this has been discussed in Phys-L before, it seems that there is still no agreement on whether “Heat is a process” or “Heat is a noun”. Hence, it could be better to write “Heat should be defined as a process” or “Heat should be defined as a noun”. Actually, there are also students who get very confused when they are taught that “Heat is not a noun”.

Alphonsus