Re: [Phys-l] the role of simulation

At 12:18 -0600 1/19/08, John Clement wrote:

It is not an alleged fact, it is a fact that this happened with the
experiment which was reported in the journal I already referenced. Now if
anyone wants to repeat the experiment they are welcome to do so.

I just read the article John refers to and I found it very interesting. I can think of a few things I wish they had done (or talked about if they did them), but in general I thought the paper laid out pretty convincing evidence for what they were investigating. It does seem to me that the issue of wire color and overly dim bulbs were issues that could have been dealt with early on and then would not have become distracting factors from the main point of the experiment.

My experience has been that students have a great deal of trouble understanding electric circuits in the beginning, even when they have lots of hands-on experience as well as careful supervision of their efforts (as long as that supervision doesn't include doing the work for them). I don't see how the simulation could make it any worse.

One aspect of simulation that has been hinted at but not explicitly dealt with in this thread is that simulations can do things that you simply cannot do in the real world, usually for issues of safety or cost or physical possibility. I have not used a flight simulator for many years, but I do recall that they had the capability of driving the pilot flying the simulator over the edge with compounding emergencies. While such events would be very rare in real flight and often simply cannot be simulated in the air, they can easily be done in a flight simulator, and doing this is something like a batter swinging a bat with a weight added before coming to the plate--if you can handle three or four simultaneous emergencies in the simulator, you are more likely to be able to handle one or two in the air. I recall on many occasions coming out of the simulator bathed in sweat and exhausted, even though I had never left the ground or felt the slightest additional g-force.

In the lab, you cannot repeal the laws of physics, but in the simulator you easily can, and the students can see the effects of some of the preconceptions they come to physics with, and why we no longer accept those ideas. To come back to what originally launched this thread, a simulation can show what a 1/r^3 or 1/r law of gravity would do. I know that IP can also simulate a short duration perturbation of an orbit (I think the original discussion got sidetracked on changes that were not what we normally consider "perturbations" but altered initial conditions).

Also in the lab or classroom we seldom have the time, equipment or ability to simulate lots of special cases of various laws, but the simulator can do that quickly and easily.

So, not only in the cases like that in the paper John referred us to, where the simulation essentially replaces the hands-on lab, but also in those cases where the simulation can extend the experience from the hands-on lab to areas that cannot conveniently be investigated directly.

A side-benefit of the use of simulations, especially to demonstrate non-physical phenomena is to remind the students that simulators are not always going to give you what you should see in the real world, and that even the best of them will be limited by the accuracy of the model used to build the simulation.

So, in the time-honored language of Grant Swinger, "We need more research on this subject."

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar