Re: [Phys-l] the role of simulation

I account that fact by the simulation being much more rapid, and, therefore, a greater number of practice runs are performed. Furthermore, faster readers are better readers. I think this may be due to limitation in memory. A gap between parts of a "story" may be more difficult to connect if time separated. So the learning of wiring is analogous.

bc amateur theorizer, and ideologically stuck on "real" * experimentation.

* As opposed to imaginary.

John M Clement wrote:

How do you account for the fact that students trained on simulated circuits using the same lab were able to wire up a circuit faster than students trained on the actual equipment? The simulation students did not use real equipment before the practicom.

Read the research.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Simulation works best for maintaining or enhancing proficiency *after* a fair degree of proficiency has been attained ... for
the simple reason that it takes a somewhat sophisticated user
to know what parts of the simulation are apt and which are not.

Simulation never works by itself; it must be used in conjunction
with theoretical analysis and old-fashioned real experimentation.