Re: [Phys-l] the role of simulation

I, for one, intend to read the research, but I think this is another example of the unquestioned usefulness of simulations in teaching techniques. Whether it's flying an instrument approach, wiring a circuit, or dissecting a worm, simulations are appropriate. My question relating to your example, John, would be something along the lines of whether they are building a mental model of the interaction between fields and moving charged particles when they do simulations. I'm not saying they aren't, any more than I'm saying they will reliably build those concepts with actual circuits, rather asking how one is better than the other.
sk

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John M Clement
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 2:06 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] the role of simulation

How do you account for the fact that students trained on simulated
circuits using the same lab were able to wire up a circuit faster than
students trained on the actual equipment? The simulation students did
not use real equipment before the practicom.

Read the research.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Simulation works best for maintaining or enhancing proficiency
*after* a fair degree of proficiency has been attained ... for
the simple reason that it takes a somewhat sophisticated user
to know what parts of the simulation are apt and which are not.

Simulation never works by itself; it must be used in conjunction
with theoretical analysis and old-fashioned real experimentation.