[Phys-l] REname: simulations vs reality

Our Biology teachers have been looking into simulated dissections this year for many of the reasons you mention. However, I think what students learn by dissecting an organism (simulated or not) is fundamentally different from what they're learning by tracking a projectile through the air, and there is a wide range of technological approaches, from ruler ramps and carbon paper to LoggerPro analysis of video clips to IP. What I'd like to know is how robust the learning of fundamental concepts is for each of these approaches.

I am currently using a simulator to practice for my instrumtment rating. As Jack said - if you screw up, just restart the simulator. However, I remember my experiences with HS biology. I was given a worm to dissect and messed it up so badly that it looked like it went through a blender. I could not identify a single structure inside the worm. I would have learned a lot more from a simulator - can't reboot a shredded worm for a do-over.

Bob at PC