Re: [Phys-l] Simulating a disturbance of a stable planetary system.

On Jan 1, 2008, at 8:19 PM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
1) What I would like to learn, from messages on this thread, is
how to distinguish a stable system from an unstable system.
Don't we need a definition of stability (for the kind of systems
being discussed)? If so then what is the acceptable definition?

2) This question is practical, not scholastic. The simulation
software I am using , I.P., seems to be highly reliable (consistent
with underlying physics). How can such software be used to
account for unavoidable perturbations? The I.P. does not account
for them. Please help me with this issue.

John Denker responded:

"Highly reliable"? That statement would be more
informative if it were more specific and more quantitative:
-- What tests have been run?
-- Quantitatively, how good was the agreement with
analytical results?
-- Are these tests designed to be incisive? What classes
of bugs are they likely to detect? Are they appropriate
to the numerical methods IP is actually using?
-- What are the /limits/ of validity?
-- How do we know that IP did not simply incorporate the
analytic solution for simple cases? (That's what I would
have done.) Doesn't that mean that the results for non-
simple cases will be incomparably less accurate?

How can such software be used to account for unavoidable
perturbations? The I.P. does not account for them.

Sure it can account for them.

*) For starters, you can run an ensemble of simulations, with
slightly different initial conditions.
*) Also you can perturb a two-body problem by adding a relatively
small third body.
*) Et cetera.

1) Last night I responded to the first set of questions.

2) I like the second suggestion above. I may even be tempted to write a simulation code in which random perturbations (changes in the state of motion) take place, for example, after each step, or after each sequence on n steps. But before trying this one must have a definition of stability. One must know the criterion for distinguishing a stable moving system from an unstable system of similar kind. That is why I keep asking for an acceptable definition.

3) The only definition posted so far was my own. Let me describe it again, using different words. A moving system, such as two or three stars, can be named stable if small perturbations do not destroy its initially imposed periodicity. A system in circular motion, for example, turning into a system in elliptic motions would be named stable. Another system, also initially set up to be cyclic, would be named unstable if small perturbations rapidly destroyed its periodicity. A system in circular motion, for example, rapidly turning into chaotic motion (in less that one perturbation-free period) would be named unstable.

3) What is wrong with this operational definition? Please suggest a better criterion for distinguishing stable periodic motion from the unstable periodic motion.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/