Re: [Phys-l] Simulating a disturbance of a stable planetary system.

At 07:19 PM 1/1/2008, Ludwik, you wrote:

1) What I would like to learn... is how to
distinguish a stable system from an unstable system. Don't we need a
definition of stability (for the kind of systems being discussed)? If
so then what is the acceptable definition?

Stability is of interest not only for planets, but also planes.
Here is a respectable treatment of what in aircraft is called
static longitudinal (or pitch) stability as an instance.
<http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/stability/staticstability.html>

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!