Re: [Phys-l] OFF-TOPIC: Basic scientific literacy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh Gates" <jgates@tatnall.org>

I'd move evolution to the top of the list (if it were indeed an ordered
list), and add our place in the universe (structure of the solar system,
day/night, moon phases, solar system vs. galaxy vs. universe, etc.). I
think that both serve to deemphasize the primacy of humans, which leads
to lots of irresponsible people-centered (read: short-term and
irresponsible) thinking in public policy.

I don't know, one might argue that some appreciation of how insignificant we actually are in this universe might justify those very ways of thinking and acting. ;-)

Rick (who DID consider the stance of candidates on Nuclear Energy and the nuclear waste depository when choosing who to vote for! ;-)

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN