Re: [Phys-l] OFF-TOPIC: Basic scientific literacy

I'd move evolution to the top of the list (if it were indeed an ordered list), and add our place in the universe (structure of the solar system, day/night, moon phases, solar system vs. galaxy vs. universe, etc.). I think that both serve to deemphasize the primacy of humans, which leads to lots of irresponsible people-centered (read: short-term and irresponsible) thinking in public policy.

jg

Alby Reid wrote:
I was having a discussion with a friend and we were trying to come up with a
list of basic science topics that *everyone* ought to have some basic
understanding of.

I'm interested to hear PHYS-L's thoughts and suggestions about what ought to
be on this list.

So far (in no particular order):
* Types of Force and Newton's Laws
* Electricity generation