[Phys-l] Over Sixty Education Blogs

Some subscribers may be interested in a recent post "Over Sixty Education Blogs " [Hake (2008)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: The present post lists over sixty education blogs, an expansion and correction of earlier posts "Thirty-two Education Blogs" and "Over Fifty Education Blogs." I have also indicated a few general references to internet usage and blogging. But do blogs and blog lists contribute positively to the dissemination of useful information? Responding to "Thirty-two Education Blogs," Anita Pincas complained that few people have time to examine 32 blogs, that keyword searches are not adequate for "finding just what we need," and that "semantic web developments may help." Problems in finding just what we need have recently been addressed by physicist Michael Nielsen, who argues that the internet offers us the first major opportunity to create: (a) a collective *long-term* working memory such as the physics preprint arXiv <http://arxiv.org/> to replace the antiquated journal system, and (b) a collective *short-term* working memory for the rapid collaborative development of ideas. Are blogs and discussion lists harbingers of the latter?

To access the complete 37 kB post please click on <http://tinyurl.com/6c8ttj>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>