Re: [Phys-l] Sharing a problem for students

On Dec 21, 2007, at 3:37 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Oops! I dashed this off after reading Ludwik's first couple of
points, which made me think he was still laboring under the
misconception that his proposed system was stable. I see now that he
has performed the experiment and seen the expected result.

And this message, John, came as was ready to hit the reply button. Most of why I wrote is not necessary but let me paste it anyway.

Thanks John,
1) I am probably missing something. My message above, to which you are responding, did describe a simulation similar to what you are suggesting.

2) Let us go to a simple case of static stable equilibrium. I am thinking about an equal-arms balance. The center of mass of the suspended frame is below the point of suspension. The weight indicator is vertical when two weights are equal. Put an extra weight, dW, on one of the plates and the indicator shifts accordingly. Here many equilibrium positions are possible, one for each dW. In the ideal case this is an example of a "stable system." Suppose we begin with dW=0; this is one equilibrium position. We disturb the system, by adding a dW, and a new tilt of the indicator is established, perhaps after some oscillations. Here the term "stable" is used to say that the original orientation is recovered when the disturbance is removed.

I was not aware that the term "dynamic equilibrium," implies that the same is true for a planet orbiting the sun. That is why I removed it. In the first sentence of your reply (see above) you are saying that my electrical "system is highly unstable." The same is true for our solar system. Is this what you have in mind? If so then I agree. To avoid possible confusion I will start using the term "durable," instead of "stable" or "dynamically stable." But I suspect you have something different in mind. Perhaps you think that, unlike a solar system, my electric system will not be durable. If so then please explain. Keep in mind that my model ignores gravitational forces and emission of electromagnetic waves.

John