Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] two questions

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

1. Does anyone know how a Mexican jumping bean works? I believe there is
an insect larva inside that can jump.

Cydia deshaisiana, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_jumping_beans

How, then, does the bean rise upward since the forces are internal (and
thus momentum is conserved)?

If you hold an active "bean," you will feel distinct periodic taps or
twitches on your palm. I recall that they don't jump well on skin. The
beans appear to react against a solid surface, and can "jump" a few mm.

I recall a long-running debate on Newsgroups over whether the larva was
directly twitching its muscles, or if it was cocking/releasing some sort
of spring mechanism (or perhaps twanging the silk threads.) Nobody could
find any info to give a solid answer. I just checked a few websites and
the situation seems the same: they all ascribe jumping to the larva's
"movements." (But are they twitches or are they twangs?!)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX3VrkATqzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ykYCb_vPhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za7vG-CsY0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hXhyl6AgiQ

Crackpot science experiment: place some jumping beans in a free fall
environment (Nasa's "vomit comet") and see whether they can still propel
themselves without contacting a surface. If they can, then violations of
momentum-conservation are possible, and Evolution has discovered how to
harness the effect! :)

William J. Beaty http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
beaty chem washington edu Research Engineer
billbamascicom UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74
206-543-6195 Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700