Re: [Phys-l] Do Limitations of Working Memory Make "Direct Instruction" Effective or Ineffective? #2

Physics educators may or may not be interested in a recent post "Re: Do Limitations of Working Memory Make "Direct Instruction" Effective or Ineffective? #2" [Hake (2007)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Do Limitations of Working Memory Make 'Direct Instruction' Effective or Ineffective?," an IFETS subscriber stated that the question is too simplistic because there are two fundamental observations to account for: (a) some students learn well from almost any lecture, and (b) some lecturers can effectively reach a wide audience. I agree with both "a" and "b" but, in my view, those don't show that the question "Do Limitations of Working Memory Make "Direct Instruction" Effective or Ineffective?" is simplistic. The fact remains that Kirschner, Sweller, & Clark (KSC) argue that limitations of working memory (LWM) make "direct instruction" (DI) EFFECTIVE, while Carl Wieman (CW) argues that LWM makes **passive student** lectures [the exemplar of DI to most physics education researchers (PER's)] INEFFECTIVE. The paradox is resolved by realizing that KSW and PER's have totally different definitions of DI. To KSC, DI means instruction which is substantially guided, therefore similar to what some PER's call "Interactive Engagement" (IE). To most PER's DI means **passive-student** lectures.

To access the complete 12 kB post please click on <http://tinyurl.com/3bld23>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>