Re: [Phys-l] Physics Day snow tubing

I suggest contacting the firms that sell amusement park physics equipment, e.g. Vernier.

One idea is to measure the g energy diff. using a p. gauge as an altimeter *. Then calc. the speed one would gain from skiing down. Obviously much of the energy is dissipated in heating the ice and skis, yes? How much, etc. etc. Also an accelerometer could quantify the perception when not moving straight down the slope.

* cf. w/ GPS.

bc not much "into" park physics.

Dwight K. Souder wrote:

Greetings everyone. It's been a while since been on here. I hope
everyone has a nice holiday season.

I was wondering if some of you could help me? Last year, I took my
niece and nephew snow tubing at our local ski area. During our tubing,
I realized that this could be a fun and educational experience for my
Physics students. In the years past, I've taken them to Cedar Point
Amusement Park for their Physics Day, but because we had several
experiences with bad weather and because of budget cuts, we stopped
going. This ski area is local, cheaper, and I figured the weather would
be more consistent than going in the early spring to a park. I
contacted the owner and manager with the idea of a Physics Day at their
ski area and they welcomed the idea.
What I'm wondering was if anyone has ever done this? If so, could
anyone provide me with any ideas, labs, or suggestions of how to make
this a successful experience? Any advice or material would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Dwight
Crestview HS
Ashland, OH
crvhs_dks@crestview-richland.k12.oh.us

Mr. Souder
Crestview High School

This message was sent using 100% recycled electrons.