Re: [Phys-l] study of IP and AB

Ok, the whole thing is based on the opinion of particular reviewers, who were probably picked to adhere to the ideological orientation of the Fordham foundation. I did not at first glance see any mention of research based testing. Are any of the reviewers education researchers in the field of interest? What research credentials do they have with respect to learning and teaching in the fields they were reviewing?

Since they did not review physics, it is hard to me to assess the quality of the reviewers.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The Fordham foundation recently put out a report evaluating AP and IB. The evaluation goes into some detail.

Entry point:
http://edexcellence.net/foundation/publication/publication.cfm?id=378
Nutshell summary:
http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB_Nutshell.pdf
Full report (52 pages) [recommended]:
http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB.pdf

And there is a Washington Post article on the subject that I found
amusing:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111300695.html?hpid=news-col-blog

To boil down the report to few sentences, the foundation found
the AP and IB situation to be "mostly encouraging". This is in
stark contrast to their opinion of state standards, "which have consistently shown that expectations for American primary and secondary students are typically weak and watered down."