Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

OK--now it seems we have two competing models--if I understand the replies. Both involve the sidewalls/beads and the tension (not the stiffness) due to the inflation. One model says that the tires push up on the wheels through the beads, and now Michael's answer that the tires pull up on the wheels through the beads. I can sort of see it either way--but which is it?

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Edmiston" <edmiston@bluffton.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Another tire question

I remember discussions from years ago when a group of physicists came to the
conclusion the the wheel actually hangs from the bead of the tire.

The bead is the area of contact between the tire and the wheel. That's
where the upward force of the tire is acting on the wheel. The bead is very
strong, and nowadays has steel cable in it. The wheel is essentially
hanging from that cable.