Re: [Phys-l] Electrocution in Bathtub - Hollywood style

On 10/17/2007 03:36 PM, Scott Goelzer wrote:

A demo can be set up to help feel this on a small scale.

Probably catch some negative comments,

Yup.

but during my internship I was
taught a demo that I now call the electric fish tank of death.
Dramatic and effective.

Set up 10-20 gallon tank filled halfway with fresh water.

Stand metal plates at each end and attach the hot and neutral of 120V
AC line voltage to the plates through a GFI.

I have lots of doubts about the margin of safety here.

Whenever serious safety is required, you want multiple *layers*
of safety. Having two layers of safety doesn't make the risk
two times smaller; it makes it thousands of times smaller. Do
the math. See also:
http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/decision.html#sec-layers-safety

Standing on a non-grounded floor with rubber shoes,

Rubber shoes won't do you a bit of good if the victim puts both
hands into the water.

The GFCI won't do you a bit of good if the victim puts both hands
into the water.

The *only* layer of safety I see along this line is the warning

Place left hand on top of head and leave hand there while tank is plugged in.

but that is IMHO a rather slim reed to lean on. By way of
contrast:
-- it would be better to put the other hand in a thick
lineman's glove.
-- it would be better to put the other hand on a momentary-on
switch, so that any attempt to move the hand would cut the
power.
-- or both
-- but these contrasts are not to be considered sufficient
improvements.

Another whole category of contrasts revolves around using
something like an electric fence charger rather than the AC
line.
-- it is designed to be intermittent, so that the victim has
a chance to let go
-- it is designed to be a high-impedance low-current source
(very unlike the AC line)
-- it is designed to be nowhere near 60 Hz [which is physiologically
about as bad as it could be (except for the 50 Hz they use in
Europe, which is worse)].
-- again, these contrasts are not to be considered sufficient
improvements.

Also: I wouldn't do anything remotely like this unless I had a
defibrillator and somebody who knew how to use it.

an adequate safety analysis for this demo. My analysis is *not*
sufficient to create a safe version of this demo. I stopped my
analysis after it became clear that the cost of making it safe
exceeds the value of the demo.

I have problems with this demo on two levels
*) The obvious level is that somebody might get hurt or killed
right before your eyes.
*) The less-obvious level is that students might take away the
idea that the level of safety provided in this demo is an
adequate level of safety.

Bottom line: I wouldn't do anything remotely like this at all,