Re: [Phys-l] Electrocution in Bathtub - Hollywood style

At 02:36 PM 10/17/2007, Scott G you wrote:
A demo can be set up to help feel this on a small scale.

I have always wanted to see if a fish would learn (quickly) to swim
parallel to the plates, but that seems too cruel.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
Northwood NH 03261

Hooo-eee! Now that's experimental physics (?) on the heroic scale.
Up there with sipping liquid nitrogen.
There is or was a fellow who did much this electrosense experiment -
at Wood's Hole. He used a shark - and a very very small electric field
to which the shark in question was exquisitely sensitive - I seem to recall
microvolts per meter or less. The round pool was bigger than your
average fish tank too.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!