Re: [Phys-l] thermodynamics without entropy ?!??

As a specific example, consider the interminable holy wars
about "the" definition of heat. I've come to the realization
that although I've worked with heat all my life, and know what
it means in particular situations, I don't have any unique,
prescriptive definition. None of the "definitions" on offer
are satisfactory.

The important part is the good part: I don't need to define
heat. Not at all. That's because any "heat" problem worth
doing can be reformulated in terms of energy and entropy, and
the reformulated version is in all ways better, AFAICT.

Agreed. In addition, I have never seen what I consider a satisfactory
definition of energy, but I wouldn't give up energy either.

Bob at PC