Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB

At 13:07 -0400 9/13/07, RLAMONT wrote:

However, one of the frustrations I had during my brief stint teaching at
the high school level was that there was no reward for excellence (not
that I personally deserved it). The teachers who were known for their
skills and adaptability got exactly the same pay raises as those who
should have been fired years ago. This is where I think NCLB is weak.
The carrot and stick are applied to the schools, not the teachers. There
is little a "manager" can do if the individual teachers are shielded
from accountability by a strong union presence that prohibits merit pay.

I seldom agree with anything Bob says, but I think he has a point here. However, there is a solution to it that doesn't just give a principle the power to set teachers' salaries, and thus enable him or her to curry favor with certain teachers, or vice versa.

I came to teaching after a 22-year career as a naval officer, having, every few years to face a selection board of my (only slightly more senior) peers, who considered whether I was worthy of promotion (and, I might add, I wasn't always successful, which is why my career ended after 20 years rather than 30). What I observed was a system that, while far from perfect, did an adequate job of promoting the most competent and those with the highest chance of success at more challenging positions.

The method is not dissimilar to that used in universities, but I think it was less driven by politics than the university system seems to be.

Salaries among the members of the uniformed services are set by congress and are fixed--no deviations are allowed. They are based on two criteria--rank, and time in service. So every couple of years you got a raise simply by virtue of surviving that long. But those raises were only moderate. If you wanted your salary to increase substantially you needed to be promoted, and this was done by the service-wide selection boards (I think this is different from the Army and Air Force promotion schemes, so I won't comment on those--my remarks will be limited to my experiences with the Navy's system).

The selection boards were given a list of those elligible for consideration for promotion and the number of promotions that could be accommodated within the grades being considered. Once selected, the promotions were spaced out over the next year so that the number of people at each grade could be kept reasonably constant. The actual process of the selections was complex and not worth going into here. And it was carried out by humans, so not every good candidate was promoted and not every bad candidate failed promotion. But, by and large, I think it worked pretty well (even though it ultimately failed in my case :-().

It seems to me that a district-wide system of teacher promotions could be introduced into the schools, based loosely on this model. Teachers could be separated into different levels (I would think more than the four common to university systems), and only considered for promotion to the next level after spending a certain umber of years at the present one, with longevity raises every couple of years of a modest amount and more substantial raises upon promotion. This would have to be accompanied by sensible district policies to determine how the teachers at various grades would be distributed among the schools, so that the newest teachers wouldn't end up in the poorest schools, as happens all too often in the present system. New teachers could be put in situations where they would have fairly close supervision by more senior teachers, and only sent to the difficult schools when they have enough experience to be able to handle difficult situations.

I think a scheme like this could go a long way toward creating a system that rewards quality without allowing too much cronyism to get in the way of maintaining a quality faculty. Any selection system would have to be done at least on a district-wide basis, or even state-wide for smaller states, so give the process some statistical validity and keep it reasonably objective. And a more realistic evaluation procedure would have to be developed that didn't depend on some scheme that allows the evaluator to simply follow a checklist and fill in blocks on a form. The selection boards would need to be made up of teachers as well as administrators, with a majority being teachers, and all the teacher-members would need to be at the grade level being selected for or higher.

There could be rules that required that all administrators be drawn from the senior teacher ranks, so that failed teachers would not end up as administrators, as frequently happens, and also rules about how lateral entry teachers would be handled, both to allow career-changing teachers to enter at something above the entry-level (much like the navy does in creating officers at ranks above the bottom level for senior enlisted personnel who they want to commission), and also to make it difficult for wealthy districts to cherry pick younger teachers from other districts and bring them in at higher levels in order to pay them more (a real morale-buster for the teachers by-passed by such trickery).

Lot's of details would have to be worked out, but I think such a system could work and go a long way toward meeting Bob's objections, which, I think, have some validity.

I actually proposed such a system for my school shortly after joining the faculty. Needless to say it landed with a thud, and the idea was never heard from again. So much for good intentions.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar