Re: [Phys-l] rebuilding my (lost) library

I forgot the two standard advanced lab. texts: Melissinos. (Experiments in Modern Physics), and Preston and Dietz. (The Art of Experimental Physics)
For data analysis Taylor (An Intro. to Error Analysis)
Tho a bit old and w/ strange notation, to which I refer often is Strong's Concepts of Classical Optics. Speaking of reference, there's the two volume compilation (ed. L. Levi) Applied Optics.

bc, who still finds Jenkins & White (more recent editions) easier to use than Hecht. There is the more encyclopaedic Ditchburn (Light). He still refers in studying PHYS-L questions to Harnwell (Principles of EM); similar encyclopaedic is Bleaney & Bleaney (E & M)

Carl Mungan wrote:

Here is a listing of *some* of the books I wouldn't want to be without:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/books.htm

Books I would add to John's great list above:

Taylor "Classical Mechanics"
Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences"
Ashcroft & Mermin "Solid State Physics"
Hecht "Optics"
Griffiths "Introduction to Electrodynamics"
Bevington "Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences"

These are texts I refer to *regularly*.