Re: [Phys-l] unit vector notation

On 08/17/2007 03:37 PM, Rauber, Joel wrote:
Opinions and discourse wanted on unit vector notation for the
introductory course.

Common variants:

i_hat, j_hat, k_hat

x_hat, y_hat, z_hat

e_x, e_y, e_z

e_1, e_2, e_3

others?

Other common variants include:

-- You can use i,j,k without hats.
(Some people wear silly hats at parties.
I don't think vectors should wear silly hats.)

-- The Clifford algebra literature likes to use gamma_1, gamma_2, gamma_3.

I rewrote this section
http://www.av8n.com/physics/intro-vector.htm#sec-basis-names
to discuss this issue ... including comments on why the subscripted
names are preferred, especially in non-introductory courses:

] The practice of using subscripts to denote /which/ basis vector is
] established in the math and physics community and is unlikely to
] change anytime soon The obvious disadvantage is that is a
] never-ending source of confusion for students. The practice does
] however have some significant advantages, such as allowing
] expressions such as equation 5 to be written more compactly....

=======================================

In introductory physics I certainly don't want to use

<e_x|v> the inner product, in lieu of v_x

or |e_x><e_x|v> in lieu of v_x with an arrow over it. Or similar such
notations.

Point taken. I rewrote this section:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/intro-vector.htm#sec-projections-elements
to use plain old dot products rather than bra-ket notation.

(I want to discuss the issue of row vectors versus column
vectors, but it shouldn't be conflated with the discussion
of projection operators.)