Re: [Phys-l] Motion in 1D, vectors and vector components

"How picky should we be? Is it so incorrect to say "plot v vs t" or "velocity vs time" that it should be avoided? Even assuming that "v" is the magnitude of velocity - rather than the true vector velocity - is not right, because | v_vector | is always positive, but we are perfectly comfortable plotting negative values on the graph."

Four dimensional graphs?

bc, thinks Tim has a good point

Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

Along with my previous efforts to decide how to write symbols for kinematic parameters, I have also been struggling with how to deal with 1D motion. The book I am using (Serway) seems to really botch things up. Basically, the whole chapter about 1D motion uses the word "vector" when they usually actually mean "x-component of the vector".

For example:
" Average velocity can be either positive or negative."
" The average velocity is equal to the slope of the graph of position vs time." " The graph of velocity vs time..."

The X-COMPONENT OF VELOCITY can be positive or negative.
The X-COMPONENT OF VELOCITY is the slope of x vs t.
The X-COMPONENT OF VELOCITY can be plotted on a graph.

Serway even admits that he botched the treatment of vectors in 1D when he gets to the chapter on 2D: "This simple solution (using signs to indicate direction) is no longer available in 2 or 3 dimensions. Instead, we must make full use of the vector concept." In other words, he didn't do things right the first time!

I expect that other books are similar.

How picky should we be? Is it so incorrect to say "plot v vs t" or "velocity vs time" that it should be avoided? Even assuming that "v" is the magnitude of velocity - rather than the true vector velocity - is not right, because | v_vector | is always positive, but we are perfectly comfortable plotting negative values on the graph.
Sticking to "v_x" or "x-component of velocity" the whole time would seem to solve the problem without being too burdensome to either the instructor or the students

I am currently planning:
1) to do vectors first from Ch 3 and discuss components of vectors
2) to cover 1D motion from Ch 2, but be more careful about the terminology
3) to finish Ch 3 and 2D motion.

Tim F