From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Ken Fox
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 11:35 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was
calibration )

My students taught me how to distinguish ordinate from absissa. They
learned
from a math teacher. When you say absissa, your mouth stretches
horizontally
(assuming a normal sitting or standing position) with the ..iss..
sound and
for ordinate the mouth goes vertical when saying or....Now you know,
too.

Ken Fox

(I am not convinced that the H-R diagram is designed to be a
functional plot
and thus does not follow any of the rules we have been trying to agree
upon.)