[Phys-l] computers

Not sure if this is really a "physics" question. My old laptop died (Mac),
and I now have a new one. I am wondering if it should be shut down every
night, or simply be left on "sleep mode." The manual states to "shut the
computer down if it won't be used for a day or two." The tech guys at my
school say to keep it on at all times because the heat up/cool down cycle
causes the most damage.

Any thoughts or personal experience with this? What should be done to
extend the life of a computer?