Re: [Phys-l] An exception to the usual Bush appointee.

A usual Bush appointee is quite different from, for example, an Eisenhower one, or even a Nixon. That was my point. Gioia has managed to increase NEA funding while the previous and Bush have wished to defund -- especially after Serrano, et al. The only objection I read on other sites was Gioia's tendency not to fund individual artists, but instead orgs. [Because of Mapplethorpe * and Serrano?]

Contrary to your description Bush republicans are, for the most part, --- I can't write it; too insulting, besides other list members have already described them in less provocative terms.

Regarding slap - I think it's just a statement of fact. Gioia's highly unusual compared to, for example, his FDA, EPA, DOJ, State, DOD, etc. appointments.

And finally, one will note his inclusion of "Science":

"I'd even like to ask how many living American scientists or social thinkers they can name.

"Fifty years ago, I suspect that along with Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, and Sandy Koufax, most Americans could have named, at the very least, Robert Frost, Carl Sandburg, Arthur Miller, Thornton Wilder, Georgia O'Keeffe, Leonard Bernstein, Leontyne Price, and Frank Lloyd Wright. Not to mention scientists and thinkers like Linus Pauling, Jonas Salk, Rachel Carson, Margaret Mead, and especially Dr. Alfred Kinsey.

[I don't know about the sportsmen, but nearly all the others were lefties, especially Pauling **.]

"The loss of recognition for artists, thinkers, and scientists has impoverished our culture in innumerable ways, but let me mention one. When virtually all of a culture's celebrated figures are in sports or entertainment, how few possible role models we offer the young."

* I found, while bookstore browsing, work that reminded me of O'Keeffe. Not the below, but ...

http://www.christies.com/promos/oct05/1669/overview.asp

http://www.mapplethorpe.org/flowers2.html

** He said his occasional legal awards were sufficient for him to keep suing for libel thos who called him a Communist.

bc whose long time friend, "Art Man", was awarded two NEA grants during the Carter years.

http://www.gerardhaggerty.com/

David T. Marx wrote:

Yes, BC, Republicans can also be well-rounded, intelligent, thinking people, who enjoy the arts, reading, sports, and even science. Republicans are human too. They come in all shapes and sizes, and have a spectrum of social, economic, and political beliefs (generally considered center to right). Republicans are not monolithic or sterotypical.

Thus, I fail to see why this should be posted to a physics list in a manner that is meant to be some kind of politcal slap (via the subject line).

THE DISAPPEARING ARTS IN AMERICAN CULTURE

[Gioa (sic; Sam has transliterated the Sicilian *) is chair of the National Endowment for the Arts]

DANA GIOA, STANFORD UNIVERSITY COMMENCEMENT - At heart I'm still a working-class kid - half Italian, half Mexican - from L.A., or more precisely from Hawthorne, a city that most of this audience knows only as the setting of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown - two films that capture the ineffable charm of my hometown. . .

cut

<>
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Gioia

A Republican?