Re: [Phys-l] ? passive force of constraint

On 07/22/2007 12:19 PM, Paul Lulai wrote:

I have had students discuss what causes a force. I've found that
this helps students eliminate 'inertia' from the discussion of
forces. I've taught that each force comes from an interaction and
there must be something causing a force. Students eventually see
that inertia doesn't have an obvious cause and then can't be a force.

I am curious what others have to say about this.

Well, I wouldn't recommend that approach.

1) As a minor piece of background information: Beware that in
non-scientific vernacular language and thought, there is a
close connection between "force" and "cause", as we see from
the similarity of meaning in the following sentences:
-- I caused him to do xxxx.
-- I forced him to do xxxx.

2) The main point is that when it comes to physics, it is a horrible
mistake to confuse force with cause. Anything that blurs the
distinction between force and cause is a big step in the wrong
direction.

In particular, it is a mistake to think that the equation F=ma
means F is caused by ma (unless you stretch the terminology to
say that ma is also caused by F).

Equality is symmetric. That means that "F=ma" always automatically
implies that "ma=F". In contrast, causation is highly asymmetric.
Causes lead to effects, and not vice versa.

The laws of mechanics do not express causation. Galileo made a
point of this in 1638. The laws of physics must say what happens,
but they need not say how it happens, and they almost never say
/why/ it happens.

There is a time and a place to deal with questions of causation,
but introductory mechanics definitely isn't it.

3) Constructive suggestion: In almost all cases I know, in the context
of introductory physics, when a students ask "Why does xxx happen" all
they really want to know is "How do we know xxx happens". Questions
about "why" should usually be deflected, or (better) morphed into
questions about "how do we know". The latter question is far more
physical and far more answerable.

This topic is discussed in detail at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/causation.htm