Re: [Phys-l] ? passive force of constraint

On Jul 19, 2007, at 8:54 PM, John Denker wrote:

On 07/18/2007 09:50 PM, Dan Crowe wrote in part:
an active force is a force exerted by an animate organism

On 07/19/2007 04:29 PM, Scott Goelzer wrote in part:

Ideally, all students would come to realize that there are no passive
forces.

OK, now I'm even more confused than when we started.

Sorry,

Am I to conclude that all forces are exerted by an animate organism?

Of course not. I am discussing what student believe, not what is reasonable. Getting students to realize that inanimate objects that do not appear to move,bend, or flex can exert forces is stunningly difficult. Getting them to realize that the forces that inanimate objects exert are not somehow different is sometimes impossible.

I'm not trying to be difficult; I just can't see any other way to
interpret what I'm being told. Is there a typo somewhere?

The more I learn about passive forces and active forces, the more I
want to stay away from them.

Right, if I could banish student preconceptions by simply stating they are wrong I would. I do not use active or passive terminology in class. I never ask my students to categorize forces as such. But when I listen to how they explain and understand forces, passive and active are what come out of the discussion. They may not call them by those names, but those names are a good model of how students view their universe. If I don't understand how they think, I cannot work on the misconception.

The concept is not DOA
since it exists for students.

Why should we let the inmates run the asylum?

Running the asylum by stating that the problem does not exist doesn't work either.

I'm not shy about
confronting misconceptions when necessary ... but I see no reason
to think this active/passive business is necessary.

It is necessary since it exists in the minds of students.

Discussing a
previously inchoate misconception will often consolidate it rather
than dispelling it. Not to mention the time spent discussing it.

Then we are back to students who memorize and regurgitate what they are told to pass exams and believe what they always have believed. They form no _functional_ mental model. Each part of physics becomes more incomprehensible than the last. The conception of active or passive forces is not inchoate in the mind of a student; it is entirely real and well entrenched. This is never more clear than when a student can recreate a FBD for a demonstrated situation, but then reverts to what they believe when given a different but parallel situation. So far, the only luck I have had is to create enough cognitive dissonance so that a bright student can really start to question how they look at the world. Demos and socratic dialog are my best methods.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy