Re: [Phys-l] thermo differential and extensive/intensive variables

On 06/15/2007 03:09 PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

I have some water and I'm going to put E in. Experimentally I know that T will change as long as I'm not changing the phase. I suspect, but maybe I'm not 100% sure until I study it further (work with me here), that S changes also.

Sure, S changes also. You can easily evaluate the
change in S by integrating dS, where
dS = (1/T) dE (at constant V) [0]

as discussed at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-laws.htm#eq-s-vs-t

So I'm inclined to express the math this way:

[1] dE = (dE/dS)(const T) dS + (dE/dT)(const S) dT

That's not wrong, but it doesn't get you any closer to the
stated goal. Wouldn't you rather have S as a dependent
variable, as in [0] above? The experimental setup is
optimized to have E as the independent variable, with
V=constant and T as the observed dependent variable,
unless I misunderstand the description of the experiment.

But those partial derivatives are not particularly simple thermodynamic quantities, so I want to recast this in terms that are more obvious, namely:

[2] dE = (dE/dV)(const T) dV + (dE/dT)(const V) dT = CvdT (for dV = 0)

But I can just as easily write:

[3] dE = (dE/dS)(const V) dS + (dE/dV)(const S) dV = TdS (for dV = 0)

So for this example, dE = TdS and dE = CvdT, both true for dV = 0.

OK.

Fine. If I know dE, I can get dT and then with some simple math, dS. Rigorous enough for me, no Q, and no d'. Interestingly, I found myself guilty of doing exactly what I was trying to avoid. That is, I was trying to avoid casting the problem as splitting dE up into "d'Q" and "d'W," but saddled myself by insisting on splitting it up into dS and dT. Not in the same league perhaps since there is nothing wrong with Eq 1, but it was not convenient for the problem.

Those words are hard to parse, but it appears we agree that eq [1]
is inconvenient but not wrong ... whereas [3] is the convenient and
conventional way to solve the problem.

Now we turn to the phase change for which dT = 0. For this case, Eq 2 implies that there can be no phase change without a volume change, unless (dE/dV)(const T) is exactly zero. In fact, more than implying so, it seems to constitute a proof of sorts (?)

No. The problem is that equations [2] and [3] are not powerful
enough to handle this case. They are incomplete. We need a third
term on the RHS of equation [3]. The conventional choice is a term
involving dX, where X is the fraction of ice in the water ... but
choosing S as the "extra" variable is perfectly allowable.

My nonbinding recommendation is to try the problem using V, T, and
X as the independent variables, such that E and S become dependent
variables. The rationale for this recommendation is that the
previous case (pure liquid) emerges naturally as the special case
where X=constant=0.

Anyway, for the phase change Eq 1 would seem to be my choice here, since I don't a priori know how the volume changes.

You can continue to hold constant the volume of the ice+water system.

I know that dE will be the latent heat of vaporization for the water-steam phase change, or that of fusion for the water-ice phase change. But to use Eq 1, I shall need to find out what thermodynamic quantity(s) represents (dE/dS)(const T). Or use an even better relationship (E(S,P) and enthalpy comes to mind obviously).

My greater concern at this point is the observation about linear independence of, say, T and S in Eq 1. How does one avoid this pitfall in general?

I don't know about "in general", but I know that in this case the
phase change gives us an extra degree of freedom. Gibbs phase
rule and all that. Things that were linearly dependent in the
one-phase system become linearly independent in the two-phase
system.

Again, to my taste, I find that using X (rather than S) as the
"extra" independent variable is more intuitive ... but as soon
as you have an expression for S in terms of X you can invert it
to find X as a function of S, so at the end of the day all
variables are treated on the same footing.