[Phys-l] CENCO car-and-track apparatus

--
Colleagues:

In years gone by, Central Scientific Company sold a "car-and-track" apparatus that was designed to verify Newton's second law. I don't know the original equipment number, but it is described and pictured in CENCO's Second Law of Motion lab (71990-121, formerly M21b).

We have ONE of these units, which I haul back and forth annually between our two campuses, so I would very much like to acquire a second one.

I realize that an "improved" version of this apparatus is available, but the big improvement was to try to reduce friction. However, I use this apparatus for a lab whose main goal is to measure the force of friction and calculate the coefficient of friction, so the older apparatus is really more appropriate. (OK, don't shoot! I realize it is actually rolling resistance...)

If anyone happens to have an unused. original car-and-track apparatus taking up space in the storeroom, and would be willing to part with it, please contact me off-list to discuss terms. (If you aren't sure whether or not what you have is what I want, contact me and I will send the diagram from the lab cited above.)

Thank you!
Charles Crook

Charles R. Crook
Instructor of Chemistry and Physics