[Phys-l] Venus and Mars. Was: Re: Scientists speaking outside their fields. Was... The Cause of Global Warming...

"Perhaps I could invent a machine that could tell what people were thinking and then test the second statement that Jack quoted."

A portable (a hat) MRIer. Each wearer would be told to "think sex"; the resulting mri would go into a memory for continuous comparison w/ the hat's output.

bc, now he's 70 doesn't think sex every minute.

p.s. perhaps she was thinking of "girl's" 'phone use.

Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

Jack,

I followed and agreed with most of your recent post, but you lost me when you got to your example.

Now I have no expertise whatsoever in her field. But when she states:

A woman uses about 20,000 words per day while a man uses about 7,000.

Thoughts about sex enter a woman's brain once every couple of days but
enter a man's brain about once every minute>

I can certainly fall back on my knowledge of experimental technique and statistics to convince myself that there is no possible way to falsify such assertions, and they therefore lie outside of the domain of science.

Let's see. We could follow a sample of people around (or tape record them) for 24 hr and count the words they used. You could factor in other factors, like job, age, education if you wanted to get fancy. Compare the results to the hypothesis.
Sounds easily falsifiable to me.

cut