Re: [Phys-l] Scientists speaking outside their fields. Was... The Cause of Global Warming...

"Look to the message and not to the messenger."

I thought the point was, what does one do when one can't evaluate the message because it's too complicated w/o spending an unreasonable time to "bone up"?
This reminds me of the time (c 1960) when I applied as General Atomics and was told you're good; return when you have at least an MA. The interviewer explained the additional "practice", tho it might not apply to GA's mission, would give me general skills applicable. That's what I though higher ed. was about, so I'll evaluate the messenger's credentials if I can't evaluate the message.

Another point; if the pill isn't worse than the cold, I say take the pill, just in case. The precautionary principle implies:

"... a willingness to take action in advance of scientific proof
[or] evidence of the need for the proposed action on the grounds
that further delay will prove ultimately most costly to society and
nature, and, in the longer term, selfish and unfair to future
generations." [8] <http://dieoff.org/page31.htm>

bc

Jack Uretsky wrote:

I agree with John and Aristotle. Look to the message and not to the messenger.

And, like any good trial lawyer, it is my obligation to present the message skilfully. If you want an example, look at the Plaintiff's initial presentation in the Dover School Board trial.

Regards,
Jack