Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Like others stated, I don't typically get the advertised life from a
CFL. Part of that might be caused by turning them on and off too often.
Some recommend CFLs last longest if left on for at least 3 hours at a
time. That's a real waste if you don't need them on that long.

the rule I've heard is for TV (w/ kinescope was more true w/ vacuum tubes) leave on if watching again w/ in about 1/2 hr. cycling "ages" the heater(s).
Since there are two pair leads to the Hg discharge tube, also heated electrodes.

Although they are not labeled as "burn base down,"

Thought is correct at lest on the ones that have base down printed. All have DRY location. I just read several, all have: not in totally enclosed fixture.

I think they last
longer when installed base-down. When base-up the heat from the tube
convects onto the electronics. I have had CFLs base-up that have only
lasted a few months. The high-priced Osram bulbs that are considered
"industrial" (and they plug into special fixtures) last quite a long
time in our university buildings. They are usually base-up, but the
electronics are in the housing rather than the base of the bulb. They
can be on 24/7 and last a couple years.

Overall, I have not found CFLs economical, although the price is coming
down. If the Osram bulbs and fixtures were less expensive I would
consider them.

One reason I've played with CFLs is just to check them out. I also have
a plan that my wife thinks is strange, but it makes good sense to me.
In the fall and winter, if I replace a bulb, I use incandescent because
there really isn't any wasted heat in the winter.

so also says the conceptual Physics guy (Hewitt) w/ a pic. of blazing lights in tower office buildgs.

The light-bulb heat
just helps heat my house. If I had a heat pump it would be a different
story; some heat pumps are getting coefficients of performance (COP) of
3.5 (meaning 3.5 watts of heat for 1 watt of electricity). However, with
resistive electric heat a watt is a watt. Or, with natural gas and a
furnace that is 85%, it was actually less expensive last year to heat
with resistive electric heaters (or light bulbs).

Then, in spring and summer (when I an running the air conditioner), if I
replace a bulb I put in a CFL. There's no need to have the AC and the
lighting fighting each other any more than necessary.

However, even though it is interesting to experiment, I don't think CFLs
are going to solve much. Also, Denker is correct that LEDs are the way
to go, at least as far as I can see right now. When LEDs for home
lighting become convenient and affordable, that's what I will be doing.

As reported earlier our E bill in half by using CFLs only (one exception). Since the gas bill is now about the same as the E bill, we reduced are energy cost about one third.

cut

bc, shocked no one has claimed to have dismantled one, thinks if were teaching assign exercise to reverse engineer. A TPT article!

p.s. two TO92 pkg. high power switchers (DK51)

http://www.trktechnology.com/jsyzcn/product5e.html

A torroid and EI transformer, lotsa caps, etc. on reverse 5 surface mounted resistors (I assume.)