Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

Like others stated, I don't typically get the advertised life from a
CFL. Part of that might be caused by turning them on and off too often.
Some recommend CFLs last longest if left on for at least 3 hours at a
time. That's a real waste if you don't need them on that long.

Although they are not labeled as "burn base down," I think they last
longer when installed base-down. When base-up the heat from the tube
convects onto the electronics. I have had CFLs base-up that have only
lasted a few months. The high-priced Osram bulbs that are considered
"industrial" (and they plug into special fixtures) last quite a long
time in our university buildings. They are usually base-up, but the
electronics are in the housing rather than the base of the bulb. They
can be on 24/7 and last a couple years.

Overall, I have not found CFLs economical, although the price is coming
down. If the Osram bulbs and fixtures were less expensive I would
consider them.

One reason I've played with CFLs is just to check them out. I also have
a plan that my wife thinks is strange, but it makes good sense to me.
In the fall and winter, if I replace a bulb, I use incandescent because
there really isn't any wasted heat in the winter. The light-bulb heat
just helps heat my house. If I had a heat pump it would be a different
story; some heat pumps are getting coefficients of performance (COP) of
3.5 (meaning 3.5 watts of heat for 1 watt of electricity). However, with
resistive electric heat a watt is a watt. Or, with natural gas and a
furnace that is 85%, it was actually less expensive last year to heat
with resistive electric heaters (or light bulbs).

Then, in spring and summer (when I an running the air conditioner), if I
replace a bulb I put in a CFL. There's no need to have the AC and the
lighting fighting each other any more than necessary.

However, even though it is interesting to experiment, I don't think CFLs
are going to solve much. Also, Denker is correct that LEDs are the way
to go, at least as far as I can see right now. When LEDs for home
lighting become convenient and affordable, that's what I will be doing.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817