Re: [Phys-l] what kind of scientific suppression is this?

In a message dated 3/21/2007 12:36:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
clement@hal-pc.org writes:

I would say the connection between ID and being anti-global warming lies in
the fact that a large amount of evidence is geological in nature and extends
before the fundamentalist biblical creation date. Even the last ice age,
and possibly the creation of Stonhenge lie before that date, so vast amounts
of evidence has to be rejected. Actually it is really a connection with
creationism, because ID technically allows an old earth, and a big bang.

The spokesperson who rejected the big bang because he favored ID doesn't
even know that ID allows the big bang, but not the evolutionary model.

So if change over time has been rejected, then the idea that we could have
catastrophic global warming is likewise suspect.

The Tuesday NY Times has an article on this topic. The most damning fact is
that someone untrained in science was allowed to tamper with scientific
conclusions.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Yes good points. In my opinion the current attacks against science ( and
that is exactly what we have going on.) is much more dangerous because there are
powerful monied interest who are either part of the delusional community or
recognize the value to their interest that the delusional community
represents. These right wing theocrats have very deep pockets and , given the sad
state of science education in the United States , are planting their anti
science crab grass on fertile soil.

Bob Zannelli

Did anyone catch the NASA "spokesperson" appointed by the Bush
Administration who objected to the "Big Bang" theory since "he personally
favored
intelligent Design." BTW this was the same guy who lobbied to gag NASA
scientists who
expressed opinions concerning global warming the administration
disapproved
of. Interestingly this topic of Global warming has split the Evangelical
community where the more conservative elements insisting that denial of
global
warming was next to godliness. I think there may be interesting
connections
between the ID crowd and Global warming skeptics , at least in a
significant
number of cases. Even if this is incorrect at the very least their
strategy is
identical