Re: [Phys-l] Draft of new international climate report warns of droughts, sta...

In a message dated 3/12/2007 1:05:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
betwys1@sbcglobal.net writes:

At 05:39 AM 3/12/2007, Bob Zannelli, you wrote:

So this is the considered review of the Saskatoon Star Phoenix of an
AP draft report
as to what world scientists will say next month in Belgium?
Who better to spread the word!
Brian Whatcott

Does this mean you will take the report seriously? Or will you be sticking
with the Exxon Mobile crowd? Who better to trust?

Bob Zannelli

That's a tough one,Bob. I prefer to take no one on trust.
For example, here's something else in the same genre:

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

None of us ( certainly not me) is expert enough in every field to avoid
reaching the point where , to a degree , you can avoid the need to trust
something or someone. The degree of trust should be as minimal as possible and every
one should do their best to get at the facts and analysis to hold an
informed opinion. But these vital type questions which are used to inform policy
must be decided by common consensus of the general public. That's how democracy
works. So any thoughtful citizen might well logically trust the views of a
majority of climate scientists verses a soulless multinational corporation
which views green house gas emission restriction as a bottom line issue and the
opinions of a small minority of climatologists who agree with Exxon Mobile
and are often funded by them. In addition , the effects of global warming are
so obvious now that even Exxon Mobile has recently stopped denying it and is
now fall back on the " It ain't us ploy. It's sunspots , its earth wobble
etc. However the vast majority of climatologists point out that these
identified climate factors generate the expected effect up until the point of
significant green house gas build up where the climate model predictions for these
causes diverge from what we see on global temperature. You may not know this
but the Bush administration has cut most of NASA's climate research. So any
reasonably intelligent person would not trust them or the corporate interest
they work for.

It's my opinion the human caused global warming doubting crowd is on the
same level of respectability and credibility as the intelligent design crowd
and in fact are funded from the same general sources and share the same
political views. At this point , this is what I have come to trust.

Bob Zannelli

))))))))))))))))

The Chilling Stars by Henrik Svensmark
a book co production with Nigel Calder, a science journalist,
and one time editor of New Scientist.

I think Nigel was invited to leave that job when he wrote up
telepathy or telekinesis or some such in NS.
Don't remember the details now.

Svensmark has an interesting hypothesis: that cosmic rays stimulate
cloud formation. That's a supposition that I don't suppose a physicist
would care to refute - at least not on the small scale: it is the prime
mover for cloud chambers in particle accelerators.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!

http://www.aol.com.