Re: [Phys-l] Modern Physics

2007/3/11, David Ward <dward@uu.edu>:

I checked the Phys-L archives for a Modern Physics text and found recommendations for Krane, Thornton, Harris, etc. I've happily used Harris, (though I don't particularly like his treatment of special relativity) but this time I was pondering a different tack.

is any of these texts freely accessible on the web ?

I'm trying to find the best textbook bang for the buck, and get a bit better treatment of relativity along the way.

so am I, (in French if possible for use in Belgium in my case, but
otherwise in English).

I know and appreciate very much the texts of lightandmatter.com that
are free and available
also at low cost on paper.

What about looking for texts that are good *and* freely available, and
if none exists, writing or editing some together, possible on
wikibooks.org to have them printed afterwards ?

Such an effort has proved very successful in France for mathematics at
the secondary level: see sesamath.org.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: nicolas.pettiaux@ael.be