[Phys-l] Modern Physics

Dear Colleagues:

I checked the Phys-L archives for a Modern Physics text and found recommendations for Krane, Thornton, Harris, etc. I've happily used Harris, (though I don't particularly like his treatment of special relativity) but this time I was pondering a different tack.

I was thinking of adopting Special Relativity by A.P. French, along with Intro to Quantum Physics by A.P French and Edwin Taylor. These are paperbacks that might prove decent references for my students in future on the fundamentals, and their combined cost is comparable to one of the more shallow Modern Physics standard texts. I'm trying to find the best textbook bang for the buck, and get a bit better treatment of relativity along the way.

Am I nuts? :-)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

david

David Ward
Professor of Physics
UNU# 3160