Re: [Phys-l] question on radioactivity of Tc and Pm

The periodic table does a bang-up job describing the chemical properties of the elements, but when you get to the nuclear properties, it gets more complicated. (Now I'm trying to draw on 30 year old background...but) You have the equivalent of a shell model with the nucleons, you have the strong nuclear force with is very much a function of separation, your have to worry about spin and angular momentum properties, about the nucleus becoming oblong rather than spherical, other quantum effects like isotopic spin, etc. While nothing dramatic may point to Tc and Pm being unusual at the atomic level, they clearly are at the nuclear level. From the info I sent earlier it is pretty clear that the odd Z nuclei either side of these two are less stable than other nuclei in their regions where there are often several stable isotopes. So, something is going on the the nuclear structure with these elements being at a cusp of stability. I would think a little more research (I'm well behind today already) should reveal what that is.

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Scerri" <scerri@chem.ucla.edu>
Or am I merely a poor deluded chemist wanting to see matters in terms
of elements characterized by Z values rather than treating isotopes
as the basic units?
Incidentally there is a whole story to tell on this point, some of
which I recount in the book which is mainly an examination of the
extent to which physics does or does not explain the periodic table.

regards,
eric scerri