[Phys-l] High School Grades Are Rising But Learning Is Lagging

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: I quote excepts from Mitchell Landsberg's Los Angles Times article of 23 Feb 2007 on two recent NAEP reports, purportedly showing that "high school students are taking tougher classes, getting better grades and, apparently, learning less than their counterparts of 15 years ago." I then quote comments on the NAEP results by the Education Trust, which takes the NAEP results very seriously, and by Gerald Bracey who effectively dismisses them. ***********************************************

Some physics educators might be interested in Mitchell Landsberg's Los Angeles Times report of 23 February titled "Grades Are Rising But Learning Is Lagging, Federal Reports Find" [Landsberg (2007)]. Landsberg wrote [bracketed by lines "LLLLLL. . . . "; my inserts at ". . . . [insert]. . . ."]:

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
American high school students are taking tougher classes, getting better grades and, apparently, learning less than their counterparts of 15 years ago. Those were the discouraging implications of two reports . . . .[NAEP (2007)]. . .. issued Thursday by the federal Department of Education, assessing the performance of students in public and private schools. Together, the reports raised sobering questions about the past two decades of educational reform, including whether the movement to raise school standards has amounted to much more than window dressing.
Policy analysts nationwide said the studies were gloomy news for the American economy, since the country's educational system already measured poorly in international comparisons. "What we see out of these results is a very disturbing picture of the knowledge and skills of the young people about to go into college and the workforce," said Daria Hall, assistant director of the Education Trust . . . .[<http://www2.edtrust.org/edtrust> and EdTrust (2007)]. . . , a Washington-based nonprofit dedicated to improving education, especially for poor and minority students. Among other things, Hall said, the transcript study provided clear evidence of grade inflation, as well as "course inflation" - offering high-level courses that have "the right names" but a dumbed-down curriculum. "What it suggests is that we are telling students that they're being successful in these courses when, in fact, we're not teaching them any more than they were learning in the past," she said. "So we are, in effect, lying to these students."
In a statement issued by her office, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings. . . .[2007]. . . said Thursday that the two reports "show that we have our work cut out for us in providing every child in this nation with a quality education."
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

The Education Trust's [EdTrust (2007)] reaction to the NAEP reports begins and ends:

ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET
The results released today from the 2005 12th grade National Assessment of Educational Progress are a sobering reminder of the need for increased focus on and support for the students and teachers in our nation's high schools. Over a quarter of the nation's high school seniors lack even basic reading skills. Over forty percent lack even basic mathematics skills. Almost half are below the basic level in science. As bad as these numbers are, the data on the achievement of low-income students and students of color is even more painful and alarming. "These low levels of high school achievement would be easier to bear if the trend line was moving upward, as it is for our younger students," said Kati Haycock, president of the Education Trust. "Sadly, though, this is not the case. Every data source over the last several years tells the same story: gains in elementary and middle schools are not translating into better prepared high school graduates.
Today's NAEP results represent systemic failure. "Students are doing what is asked of them-they are taking more academic courses and getting higher grades-but they aren't being taught any more than in the past," said Haycock. "To change these patterns, we need to get serious about ensuring that all students have access to qualified teachers, that all teachers have a common understanding of what their students need to learn, and that high school coursework truly reflects the high expectations we need our young people to meet."
ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET-ET