Re: [Phys-l] Space Balloon

At 12:33 AM 2/21/2007, Ian Sefton, you wrote:

This thread reminds me of a great lecture demonstration. The
apparatus consists of two rotating arms with a candle on the end of
each arm. With the arms at rest you light the candles and put a glass
chimney around each one to protect the flames from breezes.

Then ask the class to predict what will happen to the flames when the
arms are rotated.

Ian Sefton

This note is not intended to be cynical, but I ponder, in view of
the scattered views on blobs and balloons in spacecraft, just
what the considered response of the readership would be?

For myself: I can see that if the draft-proofing were all but perfect,
the flame would still move in a particular way when the rotor spins.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!