Re: [Phys-l] Space Balloon

1 >>
How would ... helium filled ballon move in a space shuttle cabin if it was
a) in orbit around Earth
b) in "deep" space

2 >>
You might ask the student what happens if you poke a hole in the
bottom of a plastic cup full of water...and why he thinks that
happens, and then ask what he think would happen in those two places.
Once you have established that the orbiting space craft is
accelerating toward the center of the earth, you can replicate the
situation by dropping the cup while the water is coming out of the
hole and observing that the water stops coming out of the hole when
the cup is accelerating towards the center of the earth.
Now you can start the students discussing what the balloon would do
on earth and in the satellite.

pl >>
Within the space-shuttle, the results would also be affected by the air within the cabin. I think the post above would lead a student nicely to what would happen with a 'lead' balloon. What is the best way to include the conceptual switch from lead to He? I am not sure...

I think the air within the cabin vs the He in the balloon would drive the analysis of the balloon's movement in deep-space. Maybe this is the place to start. What would a He balloon do if s.s. spaceship has a_translational > 0 (w/ air in cabin)? Tweak the *a* a few ways. Then move to the water and the nice discussion above?

Throwing it out there.

I've seen a few folks (I don't remember the origin) use a He balloon in a bus or student car as a nice starting point for a discussion of accelerations, N1, & N2.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher & Online Learning Coordinator
St. Anthony Village Senior High
Saint Anthony Village, MN
55418
(w) 612-706-1144