Re: [Phys-l] FW: universal gravitation lab

This is all very hazy, but I did a time consuming analysis of the attractive force in a Cavendish and came up w/ a non-linear term. I think one of the faculty agreed, but to weak to see it. My plan was to replace the Leybold's glass w/ saran wrap. My calc. indicated it was possible. No time, of course.

One of the students "modelled" it as one of the exercises of the analogue computer lab. At least one of the exercises was to model a non-linear to chaos (Rössler, or Lonenz, etc.). In those days digital was too slow, that dates me! We used X-Y recorders and an expensive Tek. storage scope.
bc

p.s. in retrospect I realize all, or nearly all, the "patience" labs have been dropped since I retired, Analogue, Cavendish, Brownian motion, etc. Millikan is "the exception that proves the rule". I replaced ones eye w/ a high sensitivity video camera and monitor.

Ken Fox wrote:

For an IB extended essay, I had a student choose to build a replica of the
apparatus shown in the PSSC film "Forces". He got lousy results if the goal
was to get a good value for G. He learned a lot of Physics, however. He
would set the apparatus to working in the middle of the night and used a
video camera to help observe, while he went to bed!

Ken Fox