Re: [Phys-l] Energy Question Negative Reps.

At 12:36 PM 1/12/2007, Scott Goelzer, you wrote:
///
How much work is done during one repetition of a weightlifting exercise?
Keeping it simple, let's say a 1000 N barbell is bench pressed 0.5 m
up and then down at roughly constant speed. The bar was replaced on
the rack with a polite minimum of clanking.

The change in GPE for the bar is simple, it increases 500 J and then
decreases 500 J.

What energy expenditure does the person make?
///
Scott

If I arrange a servo positioner to raise and lower stuff, I expect it to use similar amounts of energy to lift, to hold stationary, and to drop a load in a controlled fashion.

If I examine an elevator's power consumption, I expect to see it using more when descending than ascending if lightly laden. But little or none when stationary - when the brake is applied and the lift motor is unpowered.

Muscles provide tension when contracting, so pushing and pulling may require opposed muscle groups - not for slow descents though I don't think.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!