[Phys-l] Energy Question Negative Reps.

Continuing on John Denker's theme of energy that cannot do work when is energy is the ability to do work:

This problem has bothered me for some time -

How much work is done during one repetition of a weightlifting exercise?
Keeping it simple, let's say a 1000 N barbell is bench pressed 0.5 m up and then down at roughly constant speed. The bar was replaced on the rack with a polite minimum of clanking.

The change in GPE for the bar is simple, it increases 500 J and then decreases 500 J.

What energy expenditure does the person make? During the positive part of the rep. upwards the person's chemical potential energy decreased by 500J or they transfered 500 J to the bar (everyone happy with the terminology of energy changes? no! - didn't think so).

On the negative stroke downward ( considered by many weightlifters to be the more important in developing muscle mass and strength) the bar is losing GPE, but the lifter is still pushing and decreasing their supply of CPE to lower the bar in a controlled manner. This negative controlled stroke is called the burn when the muscles are fatigued and almost at the point of failure; it is believed by most to be the process by which growth is stimulated. The decrease in GPE of barbell is not available to help lower the weight as it might be it the bar was raised and then lower by a counter weight system.

It would seem that the lifter must do work to gain energy.

How do I total out the work done by the lifter? If I am traditional with my signs and I use W = Fd with d defined as displacement (as it is in many but not all books), I get the lifter did no work - this makes no sense to me and seems physically unreal.

As I see it conceptually, the decrease in CPE of the lifter due to the exercise (barring other metabolic functions and efficiency losses) was 1000 J from one meter of pushing 1000N. In addition, the lifter increased in unusable thermal energy 500 J from the decrease in GPE of the bar. It will now be necessary for the lifter to transfer 1500J of thermal energy to the surroundings to maintain body temp.

Has this ever been tested on a man sized calorimeter?

Comments?

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher