Re: [Phys-l] stopping distance

I started a thread on this a while back and never really got a concrete answer.

Searching for data will find that trucks take longer to stop. Some sources cite as much as 66% more.

For a locked and sliding tire, it's not so hard to explain in terms of µ (mu) changing. A sliding patch increases in temp and decreases in term of µ. The derivation below assumes that µ is constant.
F_net=F_fr
ma =u * F_n
ma = u * ma_g (assuming we are on a horizontal surface)
here the masses cancel.

For a rolling tire near the static friction limit, I still have problems understanding how to explain stopping distances with the simple friction law. It makes more sense in terms of energy.

It would seem that if the force of static friction is proportional to the weight and rolling tire is not changing physical properties much, then mass should not matter for a expertly stopped truck - but it does. Even a 'super' transmission capable of almost locking the wheels used exclusively for engine braking could not slow the truck faster than the force of static friction allows.

My best _guess_ is that the surfaces of the braking system change due to heating as the truck stops and the force of friction falls below that of the optimal static friction force. The truck takes longer to stop - much more KE to lose. I sat waiting on a runway for 1.5 hours after an airline pilot aborted a takeoff (kiss the knees!) - the stated reason was to let the brakes cool.

I've never been happy with the simple friction laws. Similarly friction is supposed to independent of area - but this does not work for surfaces with high intermolecular attractions. Try friction vs area experiments with plastic wrap on plastic wrap.

Scott

PS The short version for air brakes is that they make pneumatically coupling and uncoupling the truck to the trailer MUCH simpler than hydraulically. They also enable a clever fail-safe mechanism in case of pressure loss.

<http://www.newbiedriver.com/ABCsUpdates/AirBrakes101.htm>

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy