Re: [Phys-l] momentum

On 01/05/2007 08:38 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I have a collision question (seen in Mazur, p. 131 # 18). A car is moving
and can crash head-on into a "massive" wall or an identical car traveling
with the same speed in the opposite direction. If there is no rebounding
in either case, what should you choose?

Since the final momentum is zero, it should not matter (same Dp). The
"damage" will be the same in either case. And since Ft = Dp, the quantity
Ft must be constant for both collisions. I am also wondering if both the
impact force AND collision time are the same in each case.

"Same" is the canonical answer.

Slight nit: To correctly obtain this answer, you need to refine
the question, to specify a 1D collision or to specify zero
impact parameter (i.e. head-on collision) ... so that there
is no rotation. Specifying the "direction" is not quite sufficient
to specify the impact parameter.