Re: [Phys-l] Picking Thermo Book - Help requested

On 11/26/06, John Howell <jhowell@earlham.edu> wrote:

My college is adding a course on Thermo and Statistical Mechanics to
its curriculum, and I drew the short straw. Can anyone share success
(or problems) you've had with texts for such a course? I last
studied thermo 40 years ago, so the text with which I was familiar is
clearly outdated.

Books I've had experience with

Reif, Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics. Used this for my
undergrad course. It's fine, and I still refer to it often.

Kittel & Kroemer, Thermal Physics. Used this as a supplement every time
I've taken or taught this material. It's also fine.

Schroeder, An Introduction to Thermal Physics. I used this for the upper
division course I taught, and it is by far my favorite. Good logical order,
nice treatment, clever arguments, good problems. I used many of the
problems for in-class examples. I particularly liked that he kept
revisiting the ideal gas, the Einstein solid, and the two-state paramagnet
as his key examples. Student complaints about the text were quite limited.

Good luck with your new course! I really enjoyed teaching from Schroeder's
book; four member of my department have taught this course out of this book
in the recent past, and all of us have had good experiences with it. I also
just enjoy teaching this material to students at this level.

--
regards
-Krishna